21.4.13

Someone else's turn: cornflake biscuits

Hey guys! This week, I'm giving someone else a turn. That is, someone else cooked something, I took some photos and wrote a bit about it. Here's how it happened, when I was away at my Dad's I asked my dear friend Margaret to show me how she makes the cornflake biscuits I loved sooo much when I was a kid. Very kindly, Margaret said yes and we spent a morning cooking.



















I've known Margaret my whole life, when I was a kid she lived across the road from us. At about four ks away, she was one of our closest neighbours.When my parents went away, they'd often leave us at Margaret's farm which was something we loved because not only is she one of those great country ladies that can dip into her freezer and produce cream cakes, biscuits and slices to lay on an afternoon tea at a moment's notice, she had a kind of inbuilt knowledge of things that rock kids worlds. For example, once she made me and my siblings a GIANT hedgehog that she divided into quarters and piped all of our names on to. She also loved to play cards and razz us about footy teams and other things that little Victorian kids love.




















Those afternoon teas I mentioned were always a highlight, the highlight of the highlight for me was cornflake biscuits. Thus, I was really stoked when Margaret agreed to show me how it's done.  I paid Margaret a visit and she already had the ingredients ready to go. We set about creaming the butter and sugar, chopping the raisins and rolling out the cookies. Then while they were in the oven, she produced from seemingly nowhere, this spread to tide us over. (In case you're not sure, that's cream cakes, ginger biscuits, cornflake biscuits all on the one platter. Also, a few slices of pizza and some dip and biscuits. Margaret's hosting skills have always been superb.)




















When the biscuits were ready, browned with crisp cornflakes on the outside, they were exactly as I remembered them. Even though there's not many special tricks or ingredients involved with making them, I really love these biscuits. There's something about the combination of buttery biscuit, sweet, chewy raisins and crunchy cornflakes that ticks all my boxes. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with me Margaret!

(Not only did Margaret send me home with a huge container of my favourite biscuits and the recipe, she gave me some her cream cakes from the freezer. What a legend!)

Cornflake Biscuits

Makes 12

125g butter
1/2 a cup of sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of flour
1 cup of raisins, sliced in half
Cornflakes

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease an oven rack. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg, flour and raisins. Mix well. From the dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll in the cornflakes. Place on the tray and bake for 15 minutes. You should get a nice golden top. Cool on the tray for 5 minutes, before cooling completely on a rack

No comments:

Post a Comment