23.1.13

Oranges with olive oil and honey

Even though I said the other day that I don’t have any good Christmas gift ideas, I do actually have one. Just one. If you know someone who’s learning how to cook can I suggest you get them the Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adria?



 The book’s been out over a year, so it’s hardly breaking news but last week I finally got around to buying it and I thought I’d take a moment to show you before I trash it! (Thanks to Ana from I love tortilla de Patatas for the suggestion by the way!) It’s all about the staff meals made at the now closed Spanish restaurant El Bulli. Every recipe was part of a pre service staff dinner and shows what the chefs at one of the best restaurants in the world liked to eat everyday. By their own admission, it’s not a go at reinventing the wheel; there’s dishes like roast chicken, guacamole, chocolate biscuits, salmon stewed with lentils and beans with clams.




Each recipe is part of a suggested menu and there’s heaps of instructive photos of the cooking process. So it doesn’t just make you salivate, it really makes you want to cook and do a good job of it, which is exactly why it’s perfect for the cooking newb in your life!

I really love this book. Aside from brimming with the promise of awesome future dinners, it’s got loads of bright, colourful pictures and the paper feels plush and wonderful(for now!). Here’s the recipe for the first thing I made from it, a plate of sliced oranges drizzled with olive oil, honey and salt - so good and a perfect example of how clever this book is.
Anyone eying off any other cool cookbooks!?!

Oranges with olive oil, honey and salt
The original recipe has you add crushed up honey flavoured sweets but I couldn’t find any of those. Serves 4

4 oranges, skin and pith removed
4 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoon of honey
Salt to taste

Slice the peeled oranges width ways, into rounds. Lay on a plate, then drizzle over the olive oil and honey. Sprinkle with salt and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment